Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Kindle 2 Announcement

Amazon announced the second generation Kindle on February 9. The new Kindles will begin shipping on February 24. The Kindle blogs are full of complaints from Kindle 1 owners, mostly about not getting any sort of trade-in or upgrade credit. Personally, I don't quite understand the problem. If I buy a piece of technology, and I'm satisfied with it, I keep it until I feel the need to upgrade. If and when I decide I want a newer/better/faster version, I sell my old one and buy a new one.

I've been a very happy Kindle 1 owner since April 2008. When the Kindle 2 was announced, I was on the fence about upgrading. On the one hand, I'm pretty satisfied with the Kindle 1. On the other hand, the Kindle 2 has some interesting new features (more on those later). In the end, I decided that if I could get a reasonable price for my Kindle 1, it would probably be worth it to me to upgrade. I went ahead and pre-ordered the Kindle 2, and listed my Kindle 1. I figured if the K1 didn't sell, I could just cancel the K2 order and keep the K1 for a while longer. Well, my K1 sold in just a few hours. My biggest problem now is that I'll be without a Kindle for 2-1/2 weeks! I haven't read a non-electronic book in almost a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment